Friday 1 January 2010

Day Two, mostly doors !

My New Years Eve morning was mostly spent doing the doors . After so many coats of paint I almost lost count, they were finally dry and ready for their hinges.


Having sanded and sealed all parts, I was delighted when the doors fitted like a dream.
I used the dremel to drill pilot holes for the brass screws which are very soft metal .
This made life so much easier and in no time at all I had my shop doors fitted and their handles attached. Again the dremel came in handy for this.

The side opening door also went on beautifully and I was feeling really confident about my door fitting skills......................................... until trouble struck............................



You can see from the photo with the screwdriver what the problem was...........................................


My door is too short !
and slightly too wide !!
Now I have scoured the instruction book and online photos of the finished shop and the short door isnt mentioned anywhere, leaving only one explanation.................... it's the wrong door !
There is no other in the kit and as this one now has around 6 coats of paint I'm not going to send it back.
So after half an hour sanding it to fit inside the opening and a bit of constructive thinking I have fitted the door . Once the house is assembled I will fit a step on the inside and outside of the door ( and a small notice saying "mind the step " ! )



I then assembled the little wall and pavement section on the small side opening panel. This is such a cute feature to the house and I cant wait to get the railings up but as I plan to use real brick slips to decorate my house I will be leaving the railings until the very end.
I stopped work for a cup of tea and another perusal of the instructions..................all 19 pages............................
the afternoon was set aside to construct the house itself !





julie xxx

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a pain about the door?! I haven't made this kit so I can't say what should have been the correct door, nonetheless you have done a fab job fitting the one you have! :o)

I have Dremel drill and all the accessories, alas I haven't sussed out how to use it for anything other than the drill! :o(( I have used brick slips, great realistic look, though I think the stencilled bricks are probably quicker?! ;o) You are progressing at a faster pace than I would be, I tend to be a bit slow! lol
Michelle xx

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

I await your brickwork with envy Julie, Im so not happy with my stencils, and i just know when I see yours Ill be tempted to strip mine and start again, John will kill me if I do, but you know what its like when something isnt right!! Love to you and to Sweeney too, so excited to have him back in the new Year:-)Katexxx